Friday, August 15, 2008

Poetry Man

Ransom Demands

A luxury vehicle equipped for travel, fully fueled
Ready to be dispatched to a location of my choice
I want it loaded with cargo too precious to damage
To be where I want, when I want, for how long I want
Oh, and I wouldn't waste any time if I were you
There's a gun cocked, placed to my hostage's head
Fulfill my ransom demands, and I will let her go

I froze, shocked as the words pierced the speaker
Hands trembling as the risen stakes were stated
Not wanting her to die, because I treasured her so
I wondered why in the world she'd been taken hostage
Wrong place, wrong time, no matter, I had to answer
The hostage taker wanted action, and I was to comply

Choosing words over action, my mouth opened to speak
Voice so familiar, as the hostage taker knew me well
I spoke out her name and asked her why'd she do this
And why hold HER hostage to have these demands met
Because to be honest, I don't think that it's right
The hostage taker sighed as the song and dance began

"I just want to see you", spouted out with conviction
Then came words of confident feelings of reciprocation
Saying that if I cared, I would gladly make a trip
So that we could spend quality time with one another
Talking in between sighs, I was told how I meant more
Though her eyes never saw me, her heart bonded tight
I made magic without a poem, a gesture, or a touch
And made her want to see me bad enough to hold hostage
The one thing she knew I cherished: our relationship

I tried to speak reason, and I tried to speak sense
Citing instances these ransom demands had been met
Times where I was at a spoken location without meeting
Radio must've screwed up, cuz all I heard was "come again"
I restated the same, instances where I was where she was
But they were all discounted for one reason or another
From not going just to see her or her not making time
I say she could've made time, she said she was tired
Gums flapping, blowing smoke to excuse her behavior
I speak of crossing city limits and asking fairness
For me to cross cities and her to just cross THE city
And no matter what I said, all I heard was "come again"

Flipping the script, I turned the light to her face
I asked why she hadn't ever made the trip to see me
Again, smoke was blown, and blanketed answers given
Ranging from a family, fear of the road, or whatever
I told her sponsor her demands, she just said "damn"
Asking me what kind of person I thought she was
And going as far as saying the man should come out
It was just her job to be available when time allowed
To come when she called, and not a second off the mark
If I caught her busy, oops, you made a blank trip
She "don't make no trips unless it's for her man
And, unless you trynna be, it ain't happening here"
Daring me to get angry, boasting about the hostage
When something inside snapped, and I said "kill her"

The world heard a boisterous "WHAT?!" spew into my ear
Wondering why I would rather her die than to comply
Warning me of what would happen once she was killed
Colorful language rolled out our future's blueprint
Loss of her self-instated personal prioritization
Going from her "sweetie pie" to "fuck that nigga"
Blabbing other garbage too disrespectful to repeat
After all that, asking if I REALLY wanted it that way
My cold reply: "you heard me. go ahead and kill her"

Her tone then became somewhat maniacal and psychotic
Spouting at the hostage "did you hear what he said?!
Did you hear? he would rather you DIE than save you
I guess HE didn't think you were that special anyway!"
Voice switching back to the radio "if it's like that
I want YOU to sleep every night knowing what you lost!
YOU don't want it? That's fine. just know it was YOU
I just want you to know that I was really into you"
And with that said, I heard a forced sigh and a shot
The voice said "done", and the speaker went silent

I sat frozen again, a bit taken aback by her death
I wish I could've avoided it, but I just had no choice
Somebody was gonna die, be it the hostage or me
And I refused to get caught in her web of megalomania
Though a part of me burned like the hottest trombone
Given the option, I would rather be free than be we
I just knew I couldn't give in to her ransom demands

© Brandon Harris 2008

No comments: