Thursday, February 16, 2006

Refugee

Last semester, I was in my dorm room with one of my roommates, when one of the hall counselors knocked and entered. He told us that there was an ordinance in the residence halls that no Katrina evacuees be allowed to spend the night in university housing and that disciplinary action could result if this rule were broken. However, his wording went "they said 'no Katrina refugees allowed'", to which I abruptly corrected him. I said "they're evacuees, NOT refugees!!" He said "whatever," and he and my roommate laughed about it. I felt VERY offended, and if I didn't think it was a waste of my time, I would have reported it to the Housing Department.

ref·u·gee n.
One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.

e·vac·u·ee n.
A person evacuated from a dangerous area.

Nothing about what happened with the hurricane or the flooding qualifies us to be refugees. Then again, with the way that the government is screwing us over with rebuilding funding, we just might be. Arrrgghh, I just wanna wake up and have this be one big dream.

-B

No comments: